The library is a 5-floor stunner, complete with an impressive gleaming facade. But, as a library should, this baby has beauty and brains - it was recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council for its sustainable design features.
I can't say enough about all the impressive features at this library. Here are just a few of the dynamic elements that prove this ain't your grandma's library:
- Hand carts to tote your items around in. This might sound silly to mention, but what a great idea - extremely convenient.
- Tons of flat screen computer workstations. There's even an area designated specifically for toddlers and children to develop their inner tech geek with their parents.
- An entire room dedicated to children's story time.
- Great selection of dvd's and cd's.
- Teen Center located on first floor and Children's Services located on second floor seem to have no noise restrictions, making it them great places for teens and kids to hang out. This creates a very studious and serene environment for people trying to get serious work done on all the other floors.
- Center for Reading and Writing dedicated to literacy improvement for adult new readers of English.
- Extremely impressive calendar of events, including computer classes at the Technology Training Center on the first floor (sign up early, looks like they fill up), music events, game days for kids, and even a Mario Kart competition.
- A fully A/V-equipped 150-seat auditorium with theatrical lighting.
You should definitely check out this gem of the New York Public Library system. A few of the upcoming events we're looking forward to attending are:Saturday, 9/20 at 2:30pm - Papo Pepin Salsa Ensemble
Wednesday, 9/24 at 2pm - Latin Jazz Concert by Ivo Tirado, Jr. and the Latin Jazz Element Sextet
Saturday, 9/27 at 2:30pm - Bronx Symphony Orchestra