Thursday, September 11, 2008

Do YOU Cha Cha Cha?

Well, I admit it – I don’t know my Salsa from my Merengue, my Rumba from my Samba or my Bolero from my Tango. BUT, I do know great music when I hear it and that’s why I suggest you head on over to Willie’s Steak House - just a few short blocks outside of The Parkchester Condominium Complex. (And yes, I will also have to eat my words about Parkchester not having much to do in the way of nightlife! There are quite a few other bar and restaurants along this stretch of Westchester Avenue that I can’t wait to check out!) Check out Willie’s website for a terrific photogallery and menu. Here’s what Zagat has to say: “At this friendly Bronx steakhouse, intergenerational diners gorge on economical slabs of beef and Latino dishes that are as spirited as the great Latin Jazz performances on Wednesdays and Saturdays.”

Owner Dan Ortiz (pictured right) greeted us warmly, we picked up a few Midori Magaritas from Marta at the large bar and headed out back to enjoy the lovely evening in the garden patio. Afterwards, we headed inside for delicious surf and turf all the while boppin’ to the fabulous beat of Annette Anquilar’s drums and the first class music of her StringBeans (pictured above left), several who I’m told have played with the late Tito Puente – a superstar who called Willie’s “a home away from home” back in the day. As people who drive in from as far away as Jersey and Connecticut can attest – this place is well worth a subway or bus ride! Check them out!

Getting there: Take the #6 to Parkchester and walk west on Westchester Avenue.

~Simone Davis

No comments: