Monday, September 22, 2008

Is This Another Case of the Unloved Borough Getting the Shaft?

We came across this insane alternate side street parking regulation sign on 134th Street and Third Avenue in SoBro this weekend.

According to the cute little stars and moon sign, if you want the privilege of parking there you'll have to set the old alarm and find another spot for your vehicle between the ungodly hours of 12am and 3am on Thursday mornings.

I will never, ever complain about Bedford Park's 11:30am to 1pm street cleaning again. Okay, that's a lie. I will always complain about alternate side parking. Especially when the shee-shee-foo-foo Upper East Siders in Manhattan only have to move their cars for a total of 20 minutes. Money talks people.

Anyway, does anyone know if this midnight street cleaning is something that BoogieDowner should be especially peeved about? Does this night regulation exist anywhere in Manhattan, or in gentrified areas of Brooklyn? Or does the DOT just like to screw people living in marginalized hoods?

~ErLu

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That kind of crap is in Greenpoint. Especially on West St. where everyone parks their van. I'm sure it will change with the waterfront re-development.

Nancy Wetmore-Mathews said...

I've noticed it turning up more and more. I think Jerome heading to the highway near Woodlawn cemetary has those restrictions.

I saw them a lot when I was in Boston oddly enough.

Tired of being broke said...

I've never seen those signs before. Alternate side parking is a thorn in my side. 4 days per week is too much, and to me is a quality of life issue.