- The new shelter is located across the street from PS 8.
- Previous tenants of the building (3001 Briggs Avenue) may have been forced out through harassment.
- Peter Rivera (yes, son of Assemblyman Peter Rivera) is director of Aguila, Inc., the company which manages the shelter. He said he meant to inform the community about the incoming shelter, but he chalked the fact that he neglected to do so up as an "oversight."
- Department of Homeless Services makes no guarantees that the shelter's residents would not have criminal records.
- 34% of DHS' homeless facilities are located in the Bronx.
- Peter Rivera intends to open a similar homeless facility a few blocks away at 2903 Valentine Avenue (expect a large number of outraged residents to protest at a 2/17/09 Community Board 7 meeting at Bronx Library Center).
- Aguila, Inc. receives nearly $3,000 per month per unit, which is nearly triple the amount the previous tenants paid for their units.
Oh yeah, BoogieDowner readers may be interested to know that spy-witnesses in the Bedford Park area have seen male residents in the windows of the shelter facility drinking alcohol in the wee hours of the morning... Great neighbors so far!
Hey Peter Rivera: We're watching you.