Monday, September 21, 2009

Protest the Planned Closure of the Botanical Post Office This Wednesday! (UPDATED)

A public hearing to protest the possible closure of the Botanical Post Office on Webster Avenue is scheduled for this Wednesday, September 23rd from 1 to 4pm at Fordham University's O'Hare Hall. Just use the campus' main gate on Southern Blvd. opposite the Botanical Garden's main entrance.

Please come out to voice your concerns to the USPS if your schedule permits! Me thinks a public hearing somewhere closer to the 6pm hour would accommodate more folks, but oh well...

Update: If you would like to submit a written statement. or to suggest someone to testify at the hearing, please contact Ann Fisher, Director of Public Affairs and Government Relations, at 202-789-6803 or ann.fisher@prc.gov.

~ErLu

5 comments:

SANKOFA said...

I would like to save this Postal Office also, but where is the same passion to get the Manager of this office to keep the place clean and have the employees to act more courteous to the customers and where are the supplies?

Anonymous said...

As in regular business, mismanagement
will lead to closings. I know if my job were in jeopardy I would be jumping through hoops to make sure that I get to keep my job. I think that with as unhappy as those workers may be, collecting unemployment for 6 to 8 months may look like a sweet deal. Unfortunately in this job market though I would not recommend that as an option.

Meagan said...

It looks to me like this post office is no different than most post offices I've visited: careless staff and shoddy service. I'm not for closing local branches of the post office, but I think it's high time the Post Office takes a long, hard look at its operations and understands exactly why more and more people are choosing to ship their packages through FedEx and UPS. With those two, I know I'll receive decent(ish) customer service and that my packages will arrive on time. I'm never sure with the Post Office.

http://blogs.journalism.cuny.edu/interactive2010/

Anonymous said...

Something tells me this is the USPS way of eliminating underperforming workers and restructuring. I think they can not really fire people and they have to make it seem that they are "Closing the Location" only to "Open" another location after some reasonable time or when the "economy" improves maybe they will start over with better customer service and better management. And who know maybe it is just due to the economy and cutbacks?

Boogiedowner said...

Actually there were some USPS reps at the most recent BMCA meeting and they were adamant that NO WORKERS would be losing there jobs. They would simply be transferred to other locations. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!