Saturday, January 24, 2009

COALS: A Pizza Lover's Gem in Morris Park!


Photography by Simone Davis, www.thebronxrocks.com

Ever had grilled pizza? Yeah, me neither. Curious and inspired by all of the great reviews of COALS (including one from the NY Times), I just
h
ad to check this 2007 Zagat-rated treasure in Morris Park. What a find this place turned out to be! The place was packed full of locals, med students from nearby Einstein and Montefiore, and others like my friend and I from other neighborhoods who made the trip via bus and taxis. (Definitely worth going out of your way for!) The pizzas were delicious, the service was friendly and upbeat and the decor simple, cozy and casually hip. I'm told the place is extremely family-friendly, but it's hard to imagine that on a packed Friday night with its bar scene as big of a draw as the cheap and appetizing food. I'd leave those outings with the kiddies for lunch and weeknight dinners. (Note: they are closed on Sundays and Mondays)

Getting there: We took the #31 bus from Westchester Square that lets you off right in front of the restaurant.

~Simone Davis, www.thebronxrocks.com

No comments: